Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Red-Letter Day

Do kids today still use that expression? Have any idea what it means? No? Oh well.

Yesterday afternoon I walked to the end of my driveway to fetch the mail. In the mailbox I found a manila envelope from Cleis Press, Berkeley, CA, containing two copies of Alison Tyler's Never Say Never. Author copies. I'm ridiculously excited about this, out of all proportion to the number of words in it that are mine (a 200 word excerpt from one of my stories at the end of Chapter 8).

First of all? I had words accepted. By Alison Tyler. How cool is that?

Second? I'm in there alongside so many of my writing idols. Sommer Marsden. Shanna Germain. Donna George Story. Teresa Noelle Roberts. Thomas Roche. Kristina Lloyd. Charlotte Stein. Angell Brooks. People whose words I've been reading forever, who inspired me to try my hand at this writing thing in the first place. When I grow up, I want to be able to write like them.

Red-Letter Day: A memorable happy or noteworthy day. A day with personal significance. Yesterday definitely qualified as such around here. How about you? When was your last personal red-letter day? What were you celebrating?

No comments:

Post a Comment